Russia, with 354.8Mt of coal output in 2012, is the sixth biggest coal producing country in the world. Steam coal accounted for 80% of the total coal output while the rest 20% was coking coal. Russia is the fifth biggest coal consumer and exported 134Mt of coal in 2012 making it the world's third biggest coal exporter.
2013 coal export increased by 15%.
The Kuzbass region contributing over 200Mt of coal output is the biggest coal producing region in Russia.
Raspadskaya mine in the Kemerovo region is considered as Russia's biggest coal mine.
The increase of coal export coming from falling demand on the internal market.